Friday 1 February 2013

Home

Week nine and I was told that the next Monday, I was flying home.

Ecstatic isn't the word. I can't describe it, because I was so happy and yet so terrified, a bizarre combination. English hospitals were one thing to worry about, and I couldn't help but worry all week that something was going to go wrong. That they'd do a blood test each day and one day my neutrophils would be so low they wouldn't let me fly, or my legs would stop working again, or I would get sick, or or or a million different scenarios.

It was a good week though. I was finally independent in the shower! I remember the luxurious feeling of my first stand up shower and washing my hair. It was a draining task, and afterwards I would sit and rest for 5-10 minutes to recover. Then I would dress myself, walking around my bed or bending over cautiously to get out my clothes for the day. I'd been moved back into a ward with four other women, and they'd watch me slowly wobble around with encouragement and praise. I still couldn't get my bloody sports bra on though! That was the one thing that I couldn't do until a few weeks after getting home, and now it's easy as pie.

I could do 48 stair steps in a row with my Physio, no longer holding on as I bravely met each step with a cautious foot. By Thursday that week I could even stand on one leg for around 5 seconds. All this really pleased me, because it meant that I wouldn't have to wear a catheter for the flight, something I had been dreading. I could walk, turn and sit on the airplane toilets, hazaar!

The nerve pain had settled to a quiet buzz, with often only my hands and feet tingling gently in the evenings. But I was incredibly exhausted. Walking around independently everywhere, eating meals in the dining room with everyone else, showering, dressing and exercising meant that by the afternoon I was knackered. I cried to my parents quite a lot that week, out of anxiety and fatigue. We were all on edge.

It's funny to look back on all this. As I type this, the 1st February 2013, over four months since diagnosis, I am about to dash off to the doctors and then to town. Yesterday I went into a hairdressers alone to get my hair done. These small things that I am so, so grateful for. When I shower now, I try and appreciate the ease of washing my hair. As I walk around town, I look for disabled access and picture how hard it would be in a wheelchair. I try and enjoy the English grey compared to the stifling Townsville heat.

But it's not easy. I am still so weak, so tired all the time. I often get people say 'Wow, you're better now!' But I'm not. I still have a long way to do.

But I new I still had a long road ahead on that Monday I got on the plane. My Dad had flown home two days before, and it was me, my Mum and a beautiful nurse from my insurance company. We were flying business class so I could lie down in the flight.

My Mum took her first drink on the plane, a glass of champagne. My nurse and I lifted our orange juices. We toasted...'To going home'.

No comments:

Post a Comment