Wednesday 23 January 2013

Waiting

'Chronic idiopathic neutropenia has never sounded so good!'

This was my Facebook status update on week eight and I was genuinely so pleased. Once all the bone marrow results had been analysed and nothing weird was discovered, I had Joel from Haematology come have a chat with me. They had basically decided that I had probably always had a low white blood cell count, and now they just had to decide whether to give me a boaster shot to get my neutrophil count up for the flight home...or to just leave it and let me get on the plane.

My parents and I began to get excited; if I didn't need the boaster shot I could potentially be home the next week! But oh it was such a waiting game, we just didn't know what was going to happen. It was so very frustrating for me, because I felt so much better and try as I might to mentally encourage my neutrophils, it was obviously completely out of my control.

In terms of walking I began going to the bathroom without my rollator. The week before a 10m walk took 2.22 minutes and by Monday it took 38 seconds. By Tuesday I walked 160m and by Wednesday I walked for a whole six minutes. I began balancing on one leg by the end of the week, a hilariously difficult challenge and something I still struggle with four months on (but I'm bloody getting there!) I even started practising the stairs without holding on, which is something that four weeks prior I couldn't even imagine.

'Good leg to heaven, bad leg to hell' was how I was taught to use the stairs again, as my right leg was always a bit weaker from the surgery I'd had a few years before. I had a student physio by this time, and he was pretty buff! Holding onto me as I wobbled up those first few steps I was sorely tempted to fall back into his arms and do the whole 'Oh I'm just so weak, hold me!' act. But I didn't, because I'm not a pathetic little teenage girl...although like I said, tempted!

By the weekend I was told I was finally allowed out of the hospital grounds. Eight weeks of being stuck inside meant I had already become institutionalised in a small way. I was nervous.

At the beginning my doctors told me I would walk out of the hospital, something I couldn't believe. That Saturday, I stood up out of my wheelchair and walked out of the main entrance to get a taxi with my parents. I wasn't nervous any more, I was elated. We took a trip to the Palmaton, one of the top three attractions of Townsville. As you can tell, if seeing some palm trees is your best form of entertainment, then you know you're not in the most exciting place on earth.

Still, it was lovely. We saw hundreds and hundreds of Fruit Fly bats in the trees and I can still remember the acrid smell of them all. I felt like I was smelling everything for the first time, it was all so powerful because it was real life, not that disinfectant hospital smell. We also had lunch together in the tea rooms...real food! Oh it was a happy day.

And then it was week nine and we got the news. 'Tarsha, you're ready to fly home'. YES!

Please note, the picture below is the first picture I took standing up on my first outing. In the background is the Ross River...the bastard that may have caused the virus that caused the GBS!

No comments:

Post a Comment